Russell Garage, c1930
1408 Main Street
This business began as Daphne’s Bicycle and Buggy Shop, founded in the early 1920’s by William John and Emma Russell. It was moved to this location and evolved with the times to become Daphne’s first automobile dealership and repair garage. In 1948 (noted in brick on the rear of the building), the garage was remodeled by addition of the service area in the rear. When the Great Depression made automobiles unaffordable, Mr. Russell turned his skills to carpentry and brick making. His beautiful concrete bricks can be seen in this building, in several of the adjacent homes, and in the old church across College Street. Emma Russell was the very accomplished organist for Christ the King Church and was the person who provided the most beautiful fresh flowers for the altar every Sunday. The flowers were cultivated in Emma’s yard.