Drug Store and Doctor’s Office, c1930

1800 Main Street

One of Daphne’s most beloved physicians and community leaders, Dr. L. E. Rockwell, practiced in the office on the north side of this building for many years. The remainder of this building was a drug store which was originally located on the corner of College and Captain O’Neal Avenues (Dryer’s Drug Store). It was moved “up the hill” to the new center of town after the causeway opened in 1927 (as were all other businesses, one by one). At that time, a favorite saying was, “They’re moving everything up the hill…The bay will be next.”